Protecting LGBT Employees At Work
Whether you identify as gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgender, California anti-discrimination laws protect you from workplace discrimination. Your employer cannot penalize you at work based on your sexual orientation, perceived sexual orientation or gender identity. Although illegal, LGBT discrimination is still a pervasive problem. If LGBT discrimination is adversely affecting you at work, the lawyers at Rothschild & Alwill, APC, can help.
Did Your Employer Commit LGBT Discrimination?
Sometimes discrimination at work is obvious; at other times, you may only suspect your employer violated anti-discrimination laws. If you are unsure of how to proceed, speaking with a lawyer can help you identify your legal options. State law prevents your employer from treating you differently than everyone else because of your gender identity or sexual orientation. Your boss must also take action if coworkers discriminate against you. These adverse actions against you could include:
- Discriminatory or harassing office banter, slurs or epithets
- Withdrawal of a job offer
- Paying you less or denying you benefits that other coworkers receive
- Exclusion from business outings or events
- Passing you over for a promotion in favor of a less qualified employee
- Disciplinary actions for using the “inappropriate” restroom
- Disciplinary actions, including demotion or termination, for making a gender transition
Let’s Talk During A Free Consultation
Are you a victim of LGBT discrimination at work? LGBT discrimination in the workplace is illegal. You have rights against unfair treatment. Let our experienced attorneys help you stand up to your employer. We fight for our clients so they can find closure, allowing them to move on with their lives. Schedule a confidential consultation to speak with a lawyer. Call our Santa Barbara office at 805-845-1190 or our Bakersfield office at 661-369-8510. You can also arrange a consultation online. Se habla español.